The Gobbler Recipe
For the cranberry sauce
100ml fresh orange juice, 250g cranberries, zest of ½ an orange, 100g light brown muscovado sugar
1. Pour the sugar, orange juice and zest into a pan and bring to the boil.
2. Stir in cranberries, simmer until tender – this will take about five minutes if using frozen cranberries or 8-10 if using fresh. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
3. Bring to room temperature before serving.
For the turkey gravy
150ml dripping from roast turkey, 250g dry white wine, 900ml turkey or chicken stock, 4 tablespoons cornflour, 125ml water, salt and pepper
1. Using your leftover turkey dripping, add to a heavy bottom saucepan and heat through.
2. Add wine and pass the contents of the saucepan through a large sieve. Add stock and bring to boil.
3. Whisk cornflour with water, then gradually whisk into pan juices. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the sausage meat
400g sausage meat, 140g breadcrumbs, 2 onions,
90g sage chopped, 1 apple, 25g unsalted butter
1. Fry the onions in butter for five minutes, add the diced apple and cook briefly.
2. Cool, then mix with the sausage meat, chopped sage, breadcrumbs and seasoning. Pack the whole mixture into a 1kg loaf tin and top with extra sage leaves.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180C. Drain off any fat and cut into 10mm slices once cooled.
For the burger
600g beef mince (ask for 50/50 mix of chuck & brisket), 8 slices turkey bacon, 20g unsalted butter, 4 brioche burger buns, good-quality mint sauce, ¼ small red cabbage shredded, 10 sprouts, shredded, 100g sliced gruyere
1. Form the beef into 150g patties, leave to one side.
2. Mix shredded red cabbage and shredded sprouts with 2 tsp of mint sauce and leave to one side.
3. Cook your turkey bacon in a frying pan with 20g of unsalted butter until cooked through then add to your pre-cooked turkey gravy in the pan and keep warm.
4. Place the patties into a large heavy-bottomed pan and season with salt and pepper. Fry on both sides until they reach the desired temperature.
5. Add your slices of gruyere cheese and place a cloche over the top until the cheese has melted or melt under a grill.
Assembling the burger
1. Toast the top and bottom bun under a grill, add shredded sprout and red cabbage slaw on the bottom bun.
2. Place 2 slabs of sausage meat on top of the slaw.
3. Add your burger on top of your sausage meat.
4. Remove turkey bacon from the gravy, add to the top of the burger and pour gravy over the bacon on the burger.
5. Spread cranberry sauce on the top bun - tuck in!