GBBO Ruby Bhogal's Recipe: Mama B’s Chicken BiriyaniServes: 6
Takes: 1 hour (or less)
For the rice:
480g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
1/2tsp garam masala
1/2tsp chilli powder
1 small onion chopped onions
15g salted Butter
180g mixed frozen veg (peas, carrots, sweetcorn)
1 1/2 tsp cumin Seeds
For the chicken:
1kg chicken (boneless and drumsticks)
2 medium onions - diced
Tbsp. olive oil
3 to 4 garlic cloves
½ can of tinned tomatoes
2tsp green finger chillies - chopped
2 ½ tsp Salt
1tsp garam masala
Handful of fresh coriander
1. Into a medium sized saucepan, add in the chopped onions and gently heat in butter. Once melted, add in cumin, continue to sizzle for 2 mins. Add in the frozen mixed vegetable and allow to cook for 5 minutes – remember to regularly stir. When the veg has cooked through, add in salt, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder. Stir well and add in the water.
2. Whilst the water is heating up, wash the rice thoroughly in cold water to remove starch. Drain from the water and add into the saucepan. Stir well, bring to the boil and then lower the gas and place on lid. Keep the rice on the heat or approx. 15mins until the water has cooked out.
3. In the meantime, let’s get the chicken cooked. Into a large saucepan, add in the diced onions and oil and cook. The onions should be golden brown and translucent before you add in the garlic. Grate in the cloves of garlic and mix well, followed by grating in the ginger. Mix well.
4. Add in the tinned tomatoes, followed by the green chillies, turmeric, salt and garam masala. Stir well before adding in the chopped fresh coriander.
5. The base needs to reduce for approx. 5 mins before we add in the chicken. Allow the chicken to cook thoroughly and any excess water has been cooked out. Check temperature of the chicken to ensure it is cooked, before adding in the cooked rice. Mix well to bring together.
6. Transfer to a service bowl and sprinkle on top some more fresh coriander. Serve alongside a fresh green salad and a raita.