– I know it sounds radical, but think about the people that you spend the most amount of your time with. Divide them into the following groups: Radiators (people who give you comfort, who are on your side and who boost your confidence), Drains (people who sap your energy), No-nonsense friends (who tell you like it is and give you a kick when needed) and Blockers (people who stand in your way and don’t want the best for you). Try to rearrange your time so you are spending more time with people who light you up and are good for your soul, and less with those that steal your energy and make you feel less than that.
- This is a big one for me right now. Our kids learn so much from how we behave and respond in different situations. We shape our children’s view on the world, and how we speak and behave becomes their inner voice. Do they see you spending hours on end stressing in the kitchen over food or do they get to spend time with you watching a movie with popcorn or playing a game? When they look back on the Christmases of their childhood
, do you want them to remember a home filled with stress, arguments and resentment, or kindness, compassion and love?
– With the current climate on all things environmental (pun intended), slogans like reduce, reuse and recycle are everywhere. This year, instead of just buying more stuff, resolve to be more thoughtful with your gifts. Take time to do something together, invite friends over and make them a meal, take kids to a museum, give the gift of your time.
– As one very musical queen once said – Let it go – there will always be someone who can cook better than you, get bigger gifts or party more than you, so don’t stress about it. Do what you want to do, how you want to do it, with the people you want to do it with.
– raise a toast or place a special decoration on the tree for those that aren’t with us anymore, not to be sad, but to give us a chance to remember the good times and be grateful for the people we have loved along the way.
Contact Tanya Sutton for personal and business coaching at coastalcoaching.co.uk
or follow her on instagram @coastalcoaching