Parma Ham Scotch Eggs
Parma Ham adds extra flavour and seasoning to this British picnic classic - this recipe serves a total of five.
7 Large freerange eggs
5 Slices of Parma Ham
500g Sausage meat
Sea salt, to season
- Bring water to the boil and gently place 5 eggs into the water. Leave to boil for 7 minutes and then remove and peel.
- Lay out a slice of Parma Ham on a chopping board and place an egg at one end. Roll the egg with the Parma Ham until fully covered. Repeat with 4 more eggs.
- Weigh out 100g of sausage meat per egg, place on the board and flatten out to a thickness of around 1cm. Wrap around the egg until fully covered, working out any pockets of air and ensuring that the sausage meat is even all the way around.
- Set up your breading station with a bowl each of plain flour, egg wash, and panko breadcrumbs. Season the flour and egg wash with a small pinch of salt and mix in.
- Place a scotch egg into the flour and roll around, ensuring it is completely coated to help the egg stick.
- Shake off the excess flour and place the scotch egg in the egg wash, again rolling around to ensure it is fully coated.
- Finally place the scotch egg in the panko breadcrumbs and roll around until fully coated. Repeat these steps with the remaining scotch eggs, cover, and place in the fridge.
- To cook the eggs, heat a frying pan with sunflower oil to 170˚C.
- Using a ‘spider’ strainer or spoon, lower up to 3 coated scotch eggs gently into the oil. Rotate them occasionally to ensure even cooking. Cook for 8 minutes until golden brown on the outside, and the layer of sausage meat is fully cooked.
- Carefully remove the scotch eggs from the oil and place onto a tray covered with kitchen towel to soak up the excess oil.
Flatbread with Parma Ham, Mozzarella, and Cherry Tomatoes
This flatbread can be store-bought or made from scratch for an easily transportable picnic treat and serves four.
For the flatbread:
250g Manitoba flour
250g Flour type 2 (with fibre)
2 tsp salt
7g Freeze-dried brewer's yeast
3 tbs of olive oil
300 g warm water
200g of Parma Ham
20 cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 Hot chilis, chopped
2 pieces of Buffalo mozzarella, sliced and drained.
Extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the two types of flour, salt, yeast and oil in a large bowl and add the amount of water required to obtain a soft ball. Knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the ball in a slightly greased bowl, cover it and leave to prove until doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, dress the tomatoes with the chilis, salt, oil, and basil. with chopped chilis, salt, oil and basil.
- Divide the dough into pieces weighing about 60g each and, with a dusted rolling pin, roll out the dough to thin disks of roughly the same size.
- Leave the dough disks to prove for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, place one disk at a time in it and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve the flat bread disks stuffed with the dressed cherry tomatoes, Parma Ham and slices of mozzarella.